Avarekalu Kurma||Avarekayi Kurma||Lilva Bean's Curry
Season’s most available Indian Lilva Bean’s/Hyacinth Bean’s ಅವರೆಕಲು/ಅವ್ರೆಕಾಯಿ/Avrekayi/
- Cuisine – Karnataka
- Recipe – Kurma
- Type – Lunch/Dinner
- Preparation time – 10 minutes
- Cooking time – 20 minutes
- Total time – 30 minutes
- Author – Nagajyothi
- Makes – 5 servings
Video Recipe Of Avarekalu Kurma
- Avarekalu/Lilva beans – 100 gm’s
- Onions – 1 (big size)
- Tomato – 1 (big size)
- Curry leaves – 6
- Oil – 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 Tsp
- Onions – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1cup
- Curry leaves 1/2 cup
- Coconut – 1/2 shell (1 cup)
- Coriander seeds – 1Tsp
- Clove – 2 no’s
- Cinnamon – 1″ stick
- Cardamom – 2 no’s
- Cashewnut’s – 10 to 15 no’s
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic pods – 4 to 5
- Chili powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – 1 Tsp (as per your requirement)
Step by Step Preparation Method
Firstly clean the beans in water then remove the pods from beans. wash the pods with water. To prepare avarekalu kurma/korma you can even use avarekalu beans by removing the skin of pods.
Take a flat pan or kadai add 1 Tbsp of oil and heat in a medium flame then add 1 Tsp of mustard seeds 1Tsp of cumin seeds handful of fresh curry leaves sauté and splitter them.
Then add one chopped onion one chopped tomato sauté for a minute and cook .
Now add 1 Tsp of turmeric powder mix with tempering and sauté it, then add 100 Gm’s of avarekalu/lilva beans roast and sauté for five minutes.
Add two cup of water into the tempered avarekalu/lilva beans mix altogether then close the pan with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
To prepare ground masala for avarekalu/lilva beans kurma , take a small jar add 1 chopped onion curry handful of curry leaves 1 chopped tomato f 1 cup freshly grated coconut coriander seeds 1 Tsp 2″cinnamon stick 1 cardamom 2 cloves 15 to 20 cashew nuts 1 tsp of red chili powder 1 Tsp of crystal salt 1″ fresh ginger and 5 to 6 pods of garlic , grind or blend altogether into a smooth masala paste, add water if required.
Now open the lid, check the cooked beans by pressing with your fingers , if not then close the lid again and cook until beans becomes soft. Once beans are cooked add ground masala paste into the pan, sauté and cook for five more minutes. Add if required or according to your required consistency.
Add handful of freshly chopped coriander leaves give a final mix. cook for few seconds.
Transfer into a serving bowl or casserole, serve hot with rice or chapati or roti of your choice.
Garnish prepared Avarekalu kurma/korma with coriander leaves and grated coconut. Enjoy Avarekalu kurma/Lilva beans kurma with your loved one’s.
- Use freshly peeled avarekalu/lilva beans.
- fresh coconut can be substituted with dry coconut
- You can pre cook avarekalu in pressure cooker to save your time.
- Add water according to your requirement.
- You can use lilva beans by removing the skin of pods by soaking them in water.
Health Benifits of Avarekayi/Lilva Bean’s.
- Avarekayi /Lilva beans areare good source of proteins and vitamins like A K and C
- Lilva beans are good for heart health
- Avarekayior Hyacinth beans should be consumed after through cooking.
- Helps to lower your blood sugar levels.
- Boost immunity.
- Lilva beans are nutritious and excellent source of fiber protein and folate.