Chow Chow Masala Curry
Chow-chow is called as Chayote or Pear Squash in English, belongs to the family of gourd and cucumbers.
Bright green in colour, tastes little tangy, sweet and crunchy.
Chow chow is known as Banglore Brinjal in India. This crunchy vegetable can be used in salads, burgers and spreads.
In south India chow chow is mostly used in preparation of sambars, dry currys, gravy/masala curries, fries and in dals in different ways according to the regions.
In Telugu -Seema vankaya
In kannada – Seemebadne kayi
Chow chow masala curry is prepared with a blend of whole garam masala spices and watermelon seeds combined with tomatoes to make a silky textured gravy and cooked with tempered chow chow.
I never cooked chow chow before I created this recipe, but for sure tasted this crunchy vegetable when I went to sagar hotels in Bengaluru. They served chow chow korma with poori/parotta. Taste was too delicioucs.
Let me share a short story behind chow chow masala curry recipe creation, during lockdown period I use to cook food for my neighbour along with my family. His family was in Chennai and he stayed alone. After a couple of months he showed his gratitude by purchasing vegetables to me, one fine day he brought chow chow and i was surprised by seeing that crunchy vegetable, because I never cooked chow chow till that date. After knowing about chow chow from Google, I created this recipe in my own style. It turned out delicious, every one appreciated me.
From then and now I am cooking and creating more of chow chow dishes which I’ll share in my upcoming chow chow recipe series.
Hope you try this chow chow masala curry recipe by following my recipes.
Do share your feedbacks and comments.
- Cuisine – South Indian
- Recipe – Lunch/Dinner
- Type – Masala curry
- Author -Jyothi Chandra
- Prep time – 15m
- Cooking time – 20m
- Total time – 35m
- Makes – 5 to 6 servings.
Video Recipe Of Chow Chow Masala Curyy
Chow Chow Masala Curry
Chow Chow Masala Curry
Ingredients to prepare Chow Chow Masala Curry
- Chow chow -200 gm’s
- Tomatoes– 2 mediums sized
- Watermelon seeds – ½ cup
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tsp
- Snauf/fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1” stick
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
Ingredients For Tempering Curry
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 8-10
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch (medium sized)
Step By Step Preparation Process
Peel the skin and deseed chow chow ,chop them into medium size cubes.place in a pressure cooker and boil for one whistle. Immediately keep the cooker under running water to release the pressure and open the lid in order to avoid over cooking of chow chow.Using a strainer separate chow chow and water, don’t throw away the boiled water, keep aside for further curry preparation.
In a mixer jar add water melon seeds, coriander seeds sesame seeds fennel seeds cinnamon clove chilli powder salt and chopped tomatoes. Then grind all together to a nice soft masala paste.
Take a sauté pan heat oil and splutter mustered seeds cumin seeds ,turmeric powder and curry leaves,saute for a few seconds.
Now add ground masala into the pan, slowly mix the masala with temperingSauté for a minute in low flame add strained water which was kept aside into the masala, mix all together and cook for a minute. Add coriander leaves, gives a quick mix, then add boiled chow chow into the sauté pan mix and cook chow chow with the masala
Close the pan with a lid, cook for ten more minutes until the water evaporates.
Add fresh coriander leaves mix and dish out in a serving bowl, garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with foxtail millet/rice/roti/chapati of your choice.
- Fresh and tender chow chow makes curry delicious and juicy
- Don’t forget to peel the skin and deseed before you chop chow chow
- Gravy /masala should be ground soft .you can even dry roast the spices before grinding
- You can avoid cooking chow chow in a pressure cooker, instead you can boil in a deep vessel
- Cook in a low to medium flame to avoid burning of the masala/gravy
- You can use chopped onions in this curry preparation for that extra onion taste.
- Chilli powder can be substituted with dry red chillies or green chillies.
- Chow chow is rich in nutrients essential vitamins, minerals and fibre and folate (vitamin – B9) which helps to promote proper cell division.
- Low in calories and fat
- Contains vitamins, consuming helps to fight disease, promotes heart health.
- Fibre content in chow chow helps to control and stabilise blood sugar levels
- Good for supporting digestive system, boosts digestive functionality, reduces fat accumulation in the liver.
- Rich source of dietry fibre which helps in weight loss.