GUMMADIKAYA KURA || KAMBALIKAYI PALYA ||
Gummadikaya kura or pumpkin curry is a south Indian dish which is mostly prepared during festivals and on special occasions.
Recipes prepared with Pumpkin are always tasty and healthy which fills full for longer time.
Pumpkins are usually hard skinned from outside and fleshy soft from inside with seeds. Mostly available in orange yellow and green in colour.
Pumpkin is a type of winter squash which belongs to Cucurbitaceae family which are round tall or squat in shape.
In south India Pumpkins are mostly used in preparing sambar with lentils.
There are different kinds of cuisines in India which are prepared with pumpkin. Recipes like pumpkin curry, sweet, soup and khichdi are some known dishes.
In this post I am going to introduce pumpkin curry in which I learned from my granny. She used to prepare simple traditional dishes in authentic way in brass tope which she purchased in Kashi (varnasi/Banaras) city for $1. I still remember her stories which she used to share with me about her shopping experiences in Varnasi by singing some old devotional songs.(check the picture of my grandmother at the bottom of the page.)
Coming to my recipe I am going to explain how to cook pumpkin curry in handi bottomed pressure cooker with step by step instructions along with the pictures in simple way by saving cooking time in kitchen.
Pumpkins are chopped into cubes along with skin tempered with spices green chilli and salt paste and then cooked in milk to enhance the taste, roasted sesame seeds powder is added to make pumpkin curry healthier with the goodness of sesame seeds.
you can accomplish pumpkin curry with Plain Rice or Pulkas.
Do try this simple and time saving authentic pumpkin curry in minutes using handi pressure cooker or your choice of pressure cooker like OPOS method.
I would like to hear your comments and feedbacks.
- Cuisine – South Indian
- Recipe – Lunch/Dinner
- Type – Curry
- Author – Nagajyothi
- Preparation time – 15 minutes
- Cooking time – 15 minutes
- Total time – 30 minutes
- Makes – 5 servings
VIDEO RECIPE OF GUMMADIKAYA KURA || PUMPKIN CURRY
Ingredients required to prepare Pumpkin Curry
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 5 to 8
- Green chilli paste – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – ½ cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sesame seed powder – 2 tbsp
- Salt 1 tsp
PREPARATION METHOD OF GUMMADIKAYA KURA||PUMPKIN CURRY
- Clean pumpkin with fresh water. chop with the skin into small cubes.
- Take a pressure cooker preheat for a minute on a low flame, add oil into the cooker, heat oil for few seconds then add chana dal, roast until dal turns into light brown in colour.
- Add green chilli and salt paste into the tempered oil.
- Now mix and cook chilli paste for a minute.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Add turmeric powder mix well sauté again for few seconds
- Then add chopped pumpkins into the cooker sauté for minute and cook.
- Pour 2 cups of milk into the cooker then mix with pumpkin, cook for a minute.
- Now close the cooker with lid and cook for one whistle.
- Open the lid when it releases pressure, check the consistency of the curry.
- Add dry roasted sesame seeds powder mix with pumpkin curry.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves mix gently without breaking pumpkin.
- Dish out in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Plain rice or Pulka or Roti.
Step by Step Method of Cooking Pumpkin Curry
Clean pumpkin with fresh water. chop with the skin into small cubes as shown in the picture.
Take a pressure cooker preheat for a minute on a low flame, add oil into the cooker, heat oil for few seconds then add chana dal, roast until dal turns into light brown in colour.
Add green chili and salt paste into the tempered oil saut’e for few seconds.
Now mix and cook chilli paste for a minute.
Add freshly chopped coriander leaves.
Add turmeric powder mix well sauté again for few seconds
Then add chopped pumpkins into the cooker sauté for minute and cook.
Pour 2 cups of milk into the cooker then mix with pumpkin, cook for a minute.
Now close the cooker with lid and cook for one whistle.
Open the lid when it releases pressure, keep the cooker on stove agian on low flame check the consistency of the curry, add milk if required.
Add dry roasted sesame seeds powder into the pressure cooked pumpkin curry.
Add freshly chopped coriander leaves mix gently without breaking pumpkin.
Dish out in a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Plain rice or Pulka or Roti.
- Use fresh ripen sweet pumpkin or Disco pumpkin.
- You can use chopped onions or shallots to make it more delicious.
- Add required amount of salt while you grind green chilies to make paste.
- Use only brown coloured dry roasted sesame seed powder to enhance the taste.
- Use lukewarm milk to prepare pumpkin curry to avoid curdling of the milk.
Health Benifits of Pumpkin
- Pumpkins are packed with potassium which helps in lowering blood pressure.
- High potassium levels in pumpkins lowers the risk of forming stones in kidney and Type 2 diabetes.
- Pumpkins are high in fibre and low in calories which are good choice for digestive health if consumed on regular basis.
- The antioxidants like beta carotene in pumpkin keeps your skin healthier to look younger.
- Vitamin A in pumpkins are good for overall heart health and healthy eyes.
- Vitamins like C E and folate in pumpkin strengthens immune system.
- Pumpkins are high in lutein and zeaxanthin substances which may help to prevent the risk of macular degeneration.
GUMMADIKAYA KURA || PUMPKIN CURRY
PUMPKIN CURRY || GUMMADIKAYA KURA || KAMBALIKAYA PALYA