- Potato Biryani /Aloo Biryani is incredibly filling comfort food which is rich in taste and loaded with everlasting aroma of Indian spices.
- An easy and quick to prepare Biryani recipe which you can prepare in a pressure cooker without any mess which you can savour the flavours of marinated potatoes with spice powders whole masalas and rice.
- Potato Biryani is prepared with Baby Potatoes and Cherry Tomatoes which are marinated in curds with spice powders and masala to get the extra taste to the Biryani preparation.
- I usually like to create my own Rice/Pulao /Biryani recipes according to the vegetables and spices stocked up and available in my kitchen pantry.
- Potato Biryani is an easy lunch box meal which is ideal to pack in a box for delicious meal which you can enjoy in your office or school hours or outings.
- My family always prefers to eat rice dishes for lunch box which are healthy tasty and more like easy to eat in a busy day or in rush hours without any mess of mixing curry’s or sambar with plain rice.
- Eating roti /chapati by accompanying with sabji/curry is a big no for them during lunch hours, they always choose easy to eat foods in less time.
- This made me to create this Biryani dish with Baby potato’s and Cherry Tomato’s in simple way which they like the most.
- In my upcoming posts I will introduce more of Rice Recipe’s which you can easily prepare in a pressure cooker in short time which are ideal for lunch boxes.
- Me and my family are truly Biryani lovers. We enjoy eating more of Rice dishes. Eating delicious spicy yet comfort Biryani in winter fills your belly. I say potato Biryani is filled with emotion that only Biryani lovers can indulge.
- Biryani with Baby potatoes and Cherry Tomatoes is delicious, versatile and easy to add to your diet, hope you prepare this recipe and enjoy with your family and loved one’s.
- Do try this simple Potato Biryani and share your comments with me.
- Subscribe for simple vegetarian quick and easy recipes.
- Cuisine – Indian
- Recipe – Lunch/Dinner
- Type – Biryani
- Author – Jyothi Chandra
- Preparation Time – 10 minutes
- Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- Marination Time – 20 minutes
- Total Time – 50 minute
- Makes – 3-4 servings
Ingredients Required To prepare Potato Biryani
Ingredients Required For Marination
VIDEO RECIPE FOR POTATO BIRYANI
Collect all the ingredients, clean and peel the potatoes, wash tomatoes, chop onions into medium size cubes or thin slices, slit green chillies into two halves, clean mint leaves in fresh water and chop Dry Nuts. Wash and clean rice of your choice with water and soak about 15 to 20 minutes before you start preparation of Potato Biryani.
Marination /Cooking Technique
Take a mixing bowl, add peeled baby potatoes, onions, cherry tomatoes, mint leaves, green chillies, red chilli powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, biryani masala, thick curds one after the other into the mixing bowl, gently mix all the ingredients together and marinate them about 20 minutes. close the mixing bowl with a plate/lid.
Check the pictures above for reference.
Take a pressure cooker, heat peanut or butter or ghee for few seconds, add whole spices like cinnamon, clove, pepper corns, fennel seeds/snauf, kalonji/black seeds, shahi jeera, bayleaf, handful of dry nuts and raisins one after the other roast them finely and sauté them for a minute.
Add soaked rice into the cooker and mix with spices, sauté for few seconds, add water into the rice, give a gentle nice mix
Now add marinated baby potatoes and cherry tomatoes into the cooker and mix well with all the ingredients
Close the pressure cooker with lid, cook until three whistles
Open the lid after 10 to 15 minutes, dish out in a serving bowl, garnish with mint leaves/coriander leaves.
Serve with curd raita. Enjoy when Potato Biryani is hot.
- Pre soak rice for 10 to 15 minutes
- You can use basmati rice or regular rice or rice of your choice Biryani without peeling the skin of potatoes
- Minimum marination time is 15 minutes
- Use fresh and thick curds
- Peanut oil can be substituted with butter.
Health Benifits of Potato
- Potatoes are rich in potassium, calcium and magnesium which helps the body to maintain bone structure and strength
- Packed with vitamins and minerals which makes potatoes’ healthy
- Rich in compounds like flavonoids, carotenoids and phenolic acids
- Potatoes’ contain resistant starch which may help to reduce insulin resistance and improves blood sugar control.
- These are naturally gluten free in nature which makes them an excellent food choice
- Potatoes’ are good source of Antioxidents which may reduce the risk of chronic heart diseases and diabetes.