Spiny Gourd Curry ||Aakakarakaya Kura
Video Recipe Of Spiny Gourd Curry||Aakakarakaya Kura
- Spiny Gourd commonly known as Spine Gourd or Bristly Balsam Pear.
- It is used as a vegetable in all regions of India.
- In Telugu Spiny Gourd Is called as Aakakarakaya or Bodakakarakaya.
- In Hindi – Kant0la.
- Spiny Gourd is rich source of Antioxidants and flavonoids.
- Spiny Gourd may not be available round the year but consumption can be very beneficial.
- Spiny Gourd has several health benefits.
- A Must include veggie in diet as per availability.
- Fresh spiny gourds are generally green in colour and light green to yellow in colour grown seasonal vegetable in most of the Indian regions.
- In my post I am going to share Authentic recipe of spiny gourd curry recipe which is popular dish of Telugu people.
- There are many ways to cook spiny gourd curry like fried curries, deep fried curries, gravy curry and masala curries in different ways.
- Spiny gourd curry is semi liquid in consistency, tastes sweet and spicy.
- Green spiny gourds are cut into round shape coins, then sautéed with chopped onions spices and green chilli paste, then cooked with jaggery to enhance the taste of the curry preparation
- Served hot with plain rice parathas roti’s and with pulkas.(Indian flat bread)
- My favorite way of serving Authentic spiny gourd curry or Aakakarakaya kura is with plain hot rice with a dollop of ghee/clarified butter accomplished with roasted jeera/cumin papad .
- Subscribe to my website for more interesting spiny gourd recipes which you can prepare within minutes.
- Check the video recipes in the link given, subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel for more easy and tasty vegetarian recipes.
- You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org to drop your suggestions and feedbacks.
- Thank you for stopping by.
- Cuisine – Indian
- Recipe – Lunch/Dinner
- Type – Curry
- Preparation Time – 5 minutes
- Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- Total Time -25 minutes
- Makes – 5 servings
- Author – Nagajyothi
Ingredients Required To Prepare Aakakarakaya Kura//Spiny Gourd Curry
- Spiny Gourd – 250 gm’s (sliced round disc in shape)
- Chopped onions – 1 cups
- Oil – 50ml
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 6- 8
- Green chili paste – 1 tbsp.
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Salt – 1 tsp (As required )
- Jaggery – 1 tbsp.
- Sesame seeds powder – 1 tbsp.
To prepare Spiny Gourd curry/Aakakarakaya Kura collect all the ingredients, firstly wash spiny gourd throughly, slice them into thin slices round coin in shape.
In a pressure cooker boil sliced spiny gourd for one whistle, remove from the cooker, strain them using a strainer, keep aside for further curry preparation.
Take a non stick flat pan/kadai, heat 1 tbsp. of groundnut oil, add 1 tsp of mustard seeds, 1 tsp of cumin seeds, splutter for few seconds.
Add 1 cup of finely chopped onions into the pan, saute and cook for a minute, then add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, saute for few seconds.
Add fresh curry leaves and 1 tbsp. of green chili paste, sauté and cook for a minute. (you can substitute green chilli paste with red chilli powder)
Now add boiled spiny gourd into the pan mix gently and cook for a minute.
Add 1 tsp of salt, sauté and cook.
Add 1/2 cup of water into the curry preparation .
Now add 1 tsp of jaggery powder , mix well and cook for a minute.
Add 1 tbsp. of roasted sesame seeds powder to enhance the taste and aroma of spiny gourd curry.
Close the pan with lid, cook for about 5 minutes , stir once and switch off the flame.
Transfer the prepared spiny gourd curry into a serving bowl/dish.
Serve with Roti/Indian flat bread or with plain rice with a dollop of cow ghee.
Health Benefit of Spiny Gourd.
- Spiny Gourd has several neuroprotective properties and supports brain function. Apart from this, It is also good for patients suffering from diabetics.
- Consumption of the fresh fruit juice of the spiny gourd helps regulate the blood pressure.
- Spiny gourd is a low-calorie vegetable and its consumption favours weight loss. It adds a good amount of moisture to the body.
- Spiny gourd has anti-aging properties. It contains beta carotene, lutein, xanthines, etc., which help in keeping the skin healthy and well textured.
- Vitamin A is the key nutrient for a better vision. Therefore, this vegetable being rich in vitamin A helps in improving the eye-sight.
- Roasted seeds of the spiny gourd are known to be beneficial in eczema and other skin complications.