Healthy Tofu Curry with Amranth Leaves
Tofu curry with amaranth leaves is healthy yet fiber rich stir fried or fried curry which is semi dry prepared with tofu, ginger, garlic and onions which is good to taste.
I love to experiment Tofu in different dishes to make the dish more healthy and nutritious.
Tofu is also known as bean curd prepared by coagulating soy milk.
Tofu is soft, silky in texture and firm tastes sour and is quite bland.
Tofu can be cooked roasted or baked or even used in salads which is a good source of fiber.
There are different types of cuisines which are prepared with this super nutritious Tofu.
Coming to Amaranth or Amaranthus leaves, these green or red coloured leaves are rich in vitamins and packed with iron and minerals which resembles Spinach in appearance.
Amaranth greens can be eaten raw in salads or cooked as stir fries, soups or with lentils in Indian dal preparations and in different types of dal vade/fritters .
In Telugu Amaranth leaves are called as Thotakura.
In Kannada they call as Harive Soppu.
In Hindi .. Chawli
Thotakura pappu/dal is famous dish prepared with amaranth leaves with a combination of different types of lentils which is accompanied with plain rice and papad.
Do try my stir fried Tofu curry with amaranth leaves recipe which is easy to prepare and healthy to eat, share your feedbacks and comments.
Check my healthy Soya beans sambar recipe with sprouted soya beans in the link given below.
- Cuisine – Indian
- Recipe – Lunch/dinner
- Type – Stir fried curry
- Author – Nagajyothi
- Preparation time – 5 minutes
- Cooking time – 15 minutes
- Total time – 20 minutes
- Makes – 4 servings
Ingredients to prepare Tofu curry with amaranth leaves
- Amaranth leaves (red) – 1 big bunch
- Tofu – 100 gm’s
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp.
- Chopped ginger – 1 tsp
- peeled garlic pods – 10 no’s
- Finely chopped green chilli – 2
- Chopped onion – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Roughly chopped red amaranth leaves – 1 large bunch
- Chopped coriander leaves – 1 cup
- salt – 1 tsp or as per your taste
- Tofu – 100 gm’s
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – To garnish.
Video recipe of Tofu Curry with Amaranth Leaves
Step by step preparation method pf Tofu Curry with Amaranth Leaves
To prepare stir fried tofu curry with amaranth leaves take a flat pan or kadai heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil in a low flame for a minute, now add 1 tsp of chopped ginger, 10 peeled garlic pods and 2 green chilies chopped into the pan , roast and sauté for a minute until garlic turns light brown in colour.
Then add 1 cup of chopped onions into the pan, sauté and roast for a minute.
Next add 1 tsp of turmeric powder mix and cook for few seconds.
Now add cleaned and roughly chopped red amaranth leaves into the pan.
Mix amaranth leaves with roasted onions, cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the leaves become soft.
Then add 1 cup of fresh coriander leaves and 1 tsp of salt or as per your requirement or taste, give a nice mix altogether, cook for 5 minutes.
Now add soft and fresh tofu cubes into the pan as shown in the picture.
Then mix gently with cooked amaranth leaves, cook for a minute.
Add 1 tsp of coriander powder or dhania powder sauté for few seconds, add some coriander leaves to garnish.
Switch off the flame and transfer into in serving bowl.
Serve hot with pulka or roti of your choice, or else you can accomplish Tofu curry with amaranth leaves with plain rice with ghee/clarified butter.
- Use fresh red amaranth or green amaranth leaves
- Tofu should be fresh and soft.
- You can add any other leafy vegetable as per your choice expect mint leaves and fenugreek leaves
- You can substitute olive with any other oil.
- You can add cumin powder along with coriander powder to enhance the taste.
Few lines about Amaranth leaves
- Amaranth leaves are rich in phytonutrients and antioxidants which helps to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Low in calories.
- High in fiber and protein helps to reduce weight and lowers cholesterol in the blood.
- Rich in vitamin A K B.
- Rich in calcium and and beneficial for bone health.
Few lines about Tofu
- Tofu is an important source of protein.
- Eating tofu may helps to lower the cholesterol, menopause and Osteoporosis.
- Tofu is a good soure of protein and contains nine essential amino acids.
- Rich in calcium and iron and minerals like manganese and phosphorous..